Pumpkins which is used for sweet or savory dishes belong to Cucurbitales and share the same family with cucumber, melons, and squashes. In this informative article, we will try to elaborate on every possible aspect of growing pumpkins in a very simple way. What do you want to know before sowing your own crop? You will find all the information in this guide. You will learn all primary requirements and crucial conditions for planting pumpkins with delicious taste and best texture. Additionally, you will find the answer to the following question in this article: which is the best time to plant pumpkins? How to plant pumpkins from seeds? How to grow pumpkins and prevent them from destruction? Finally, in the end, we will help you about harvesting pumpkins which means when and how to harvest pumpkins?
Either you are a gardener or not, you should grow pumpkins into your garden. Your experience will be extremely good with this plant. Although it seems difficult to grow but not as hard as you are thinking. Let give it a try, the pumpkin will not disappoint you. Furthermore, we will make plantation really easy for all of you. We will guide you on how to grow pumpkins plant?
Conditions for growing pumpkins
Why is it important to learn suitable conditions for planting pumpkins? Well, it’s not much difficult to understand this. If you miss an appropriate time span to plant pumpkins seed then you will not obtain optimal and delightful pumpkins. To obtain a maximum possible yield, you must grow pumpkins when the time of growing pumpkins exactly match with the exact conditions and requirements then your quality of pumpkins will be phenomenal and quantity will be increased definitely.
First of all, you should decide that either you want to grow pumpkins by sprouts or seeds. For planting pumpkins temperature should be approximately 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Select a site where pumpkins plant can obtain maximum sunlight. So it prefers full sun, however, partial shade is mandatory too because pumpkins thrive under partial shade.
After selecting the right spot for planting pumpkins, you must prepare your soil. Soil should be well-drained and loamy. Try to avoid form water-logged soil. If you want to dramatically increase the production and size of your pumpkins then mix different organic compound like well-rotted compost and manure with the soil. Its vines require wide space for sprawling. At least allow 8 to 10 square feet plot to every pumpkins plant.
What if your garden space is not enough? Don’t worry. Try to plant them at the edge and direct the vines to the sidewalk. You will face difficulty only for few days and afterward, you will get used to it. However, when face difficulty, try to think about sturdy and delicious pumpkins. If still, you are not ok with this, then try miniature types of pumpkins plant.
When to plant pumpkins?
Which is the best time to plant pumpkins, it totally depends on the region where you live. A long growing season (57 to 100 day) is required for growing pumpkins. In northern location, you should grow these in late May and in extremely southern regions, grow them in early July. You should wait until the risk of frost completely vanished. Frost can harm seedling and can completely destroy. Pumpkins require warm climates. So try to wait until the temperature of the soil reaches up to 70F. So try to choose the best pumpkins season for the ideal growth.
How to plant pumpkin seeds?
So far, we have explained in details all basic requirement and essential conditions for growing pumpkins. After reading that, now you are capable to choose and prepare the soil for growing pumpkins. In this section, you will learn how to plant pumpkins from the seeds as most gardeners choose this method of growing. Let’s learn how to plant pumpkins?
- Select useful sunny space for growing pumpkins plant.
- Prepare your soil by adding different organic mixture.
- Now it’s time to choose the suitable seeds for growing pumpkins because these have various varieties. You should choose either from Pie pumpkins (grown for eating), large decorative pumpkins or small decorative pumpkins.
- It requires a long growing season. If you have a very short season, sow the seed indoors for 2 to 4 weeks before the last frost. Never forget to harden off the seed before transplanting.
- Wait until soil temperature reaches on 70F. Pumpkins are not frosted hardy.
- Form a hill (small mound of dirt) and sow the seeds into it. You should prepare the hills before planting. Dig the soil deep about 12 to 15 inches and fill it with compost and manure.
- Place the seed 1 to 2 inches deep. By planting pumpkins in the hill, speed up the germination process because the sun heats the hill faster. Water drainage becomes easy after hill formation.
- The distance between two hills should be 4 to 8 feet in a row and rows should be 6 to 10 feet apart.
- During the exact pumpkins season, plant mostly germinates in less than a week. However, in normal days it can take a week for germination.
- It requires a frequent supply of water. Try to provide for the sweetest taste.
How to grow pumpkins plants and how to care?
After planting pumpkins, your struggle is not over yet. You will have to care about more than 100 days. Now let’s learn how to grow pumpkins plant and how to care this?
- Try to utilize root cover to protect plant at the initial stage and from different insects.
- Pumpkins require an immense water supply. Try to water at least one inch per week.
- It’s not always the case that your initial flowers grow pumpkins. So be patient.
- Bees are really important for pollination. Choose insecticides carefully.
When and how to harvest pumpkins?
Harvesting pumpkins is a very interesting point. Don’t be so quick to harvest pumpkins when you see that it has reached your desired size. Then how do you know that pumpkin has ripened? Thumb it, if you feel its rind is hard then try to press your nail into it. If it resists then it’s mean it has ripened. Now you can commence harvesting pumpkins.